Cherubini Requiem in C Minor Workshop
Workshop led by Graham Abbott
Please note – tickets to the performance can be purchased here
Graham Abbott has been Conductor-in-Residence at the Elder Conservatorium of Music Adelaide, Musical Director of Adelaide Philharmonia Chorus, Associate Conductor of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Musical Director of Melbourne Chorale, and in 1997 was Guest Chorus Master of the Chorus of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
He is a frequent guest conductor with all of the major Australian orchestras and opera companies, leading choral societies and numerous new and early music ensembles. Graham is also a respected speaker and broadcaster and was producer and presenter of Keys To Music on ABC Classic FM from 2003 – 2017.
The major work is Cherubini’s Requiem in C Minor, and will be performed with the Hobart Chamber Orchestra and friends. This rarely performed piece is one of the most highly regarded sacred works of its time. Written by Luigi Cherubini in 1816 and premiered in 1817 at a commemoration service for Louis XVI of France on the twenty-third anniversary of his beheading during the French Revolution, it was much admired by Beethoven and later played at his funeral.
We highly recommend you listen to the recording which features on our Festival of Voices official Spotify playlist!
In addition, a selection from the Old American Folk Songs by Aaron Copland will be prepared and performed as part of the Finale Concert.
This special package includes:
- Major classical workshop with Graham Abbott
- Music scores*
- Performance of Cherubini’s Requiem in C Minor on Sat 13 July at 7.30pm, Federation Concert Hall
- Performance of Old American Folk Songs at the Finale Concert on Sun 14 July, 1:30 to 3:45pm, Federation Concert Hall
- Free entry to Singers’ Lounge for the duration of the festival.
*Scores will be posted from Nov 2018
The Requiem is scored for chorus only, therefore singers will be standing for the duration of the performance. When registering please advise if this could be an issue for you.
For any queries contact Choral Producer Joan Wright: firstname.lastname@example.org
Super Early Bird (by 31 Dec)
Individual – $293
Group 10+ / Individual ANCA member – $279
Group 20+ – $264
Early Bird (by 9 April)
Individual – $311
Group 10+ / Individual ANCA member – $295
Group 20+ – $279
Individual – $345
Group 10+ / Individual ANCA member – $328
Group 20+ – $311
Includes booking and credit card fees.
* Cancellations received by 31 December 2018, refund of paid amount less 30% fee.
* Cancellations received by 9 April 2019, refund of paid amount less 60% fee.
* No refund for cancellations after 9 April 2019.
* Name changes are permitted, at the cost of $30 administration fee per change.
Photo: ABC Classic FM
To ensure the quality of the work, preference will be given to tenors and basses